The Apostle Paul tells us to put off the old man, and several times lying is the first sin listed to put off. Perhaps our ranking of sins is completely backward.
We like to bash alcohol, drugs, homosexuality, abortion, etc, yet very rarely talk about the sins that most Christians do hourly–lying, gossip, foolish jesting, etc.
Lying is bad. Here are ten thoughts about lying.
1) Satan is a liar; Jesus is The Truth. When we lie we join with Satan. When we lie, we go against Jesus Christ. Lying is a very easy, yet blatant denial of faith. It is anti-Christ. It is blasphemy against the person of Christ. Satan is the father of lies; don’t be his kid.
2) Lies compound. Once one lie gets out, more lies need to come and cover it. Lying can sink a person real fast. This is especially true if the liar begins to believe his own lies.
3) Lying is always from pride. Lies generally have to do with making you look better than you are, or making others look worse than they are. Pride is the root of most (if not all) sin, and especially of lying.
4) Lying is against truth. You lie either because you don’t know the truth and can’t admit it, or you know the truth and don’t want to deal with it. Either way, lying shows you can’t deal with truth and that is a frightening conclusion (Jesus is the Truth. God’s Word is Truth).
5) Lying destroys credibility. If you are caught in a lie, and since lies tend to compound, you will be caught in many lies, you are immediately disqualified from being a dispenser of truth. Your witness will tank. Who would go to a liar to get truth?
6) Lying is a gateway sin. Romans 1 says that changing the truth of God into a lie is what leads men to pursue gross sin. Lying is the foundation of gross sin. Changing the truth leads down a long, slippery slope to destruction.
7) God hates lies. Two people were struck dead in the early church of Acts. They weren’t struck dead for getting drunk, aborting babies, having sex out-of-wedlock. No, they were killed for lying. Think on that a minute.
8) God cannot lie. God speaks truth. All believers should have a fondness for truth. For factual information. That being said, they should have little interest in philosophy, speculation, hearsay, tradition, and any other unexamined, uninformed theory. The believer lives by faith; faith comes by hearing God’s Word. The believer lives on God’s Word, nothing else.
9) Lies reveal your heart. Lies come from within. They come out of pride, envy, and strife. Peaceful people don’t lie; argumentative, combative people lie. Truth has a way of settling a person, rather than riling them up into fighting fits. Lies show you don’t love people.
10) Lying lips are an abomination to the Lord. God hates lies. That should be enough to make us stop.