Jesus Christ is called “the Word.” Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God. The word of God is quick and powerful. We do not live by bread alone but by every word that comes from God’s mouth. The Word makes it clear that The Word is vital to our lives.
It always boggles my mind when a Christian who has “been saved” for a long time admits they have never read a certain book of the Bible. Quite frankly, I’m stunned by that.
I do not understand Christians who don’t read the Word. I’m not trying to be judgmental, it comes naturally. No, seriously, I’m not trying to judge, I’m stating a fact.
How can we live by faith if we don’t hear the Word? It’s not just reading it once either. It’s daily consumed with it. I know we’re busy, etc., don’t care. This is the Word of God. God! God’s Words! How are we not interested in this more?
Reading and rereading God’s Word is crucial to Christian living. Here are several huge benefits of doing it:
1) Decision-making is simplified. You will instinctively know if a choice is Biblical because you will have a foundation for making choices God would approve of.
2) Heresy detection is heightened. When you are consuming God’s Word regularly, things that don’t jive with it will stick out like a poodle at an elephant convention.
3) You will be able to answer questions about your faith. Verses will pop into your mind. Soon you’ll be giving God’s answers instead of your little theories because God’s answers will roll off your tongue.
4) Peace, joy, lack of worry and many other benefits will overtake your mind. The Bible contains the story of God. He lasts a long time. He is in control. You’ll get this point by seeing it so regularly throughout thousands of years of biblical history.
5) Whatever role you are in at the time (boss, worker, husband, wife, father, mother, son, daughter, etc) will be used to glorify God. You’ll know God’s instructions to these people, you’ll have seen examples lived out in the Word, and you’ll better perform those roles yourself.
The Word of God is what we are to live by. There’s a reason God gave it to you. Get in it, stay in it, get in it again, stay in it again, read it, read it, read it, then read it again. Truly these are the words of life.